Our award-winning news reporting team is searching for a new Crime and Courts Reporter to cover crimes and courts in Utah County as an integral part of making residents better aware of their community. This position is a key part of our news reporting staff.
The ideal candidate will have strong news-sense and will be able to discern what stories are priorities. A strong candidate will also have a creative mind, seeking new projects and topics focused on the justice system of our county, and then tell these stories in a captivating and engaging way. Candidates must also have a focus on the Daily Herald’s digital platforms and be willing and eager to embrace new innovations based on digital initiatives. This position also contributes to larger, collaborative and long-term newsroom projects.
Evening and weekend shifts will be required, commonly one evening shift per week and one Saturday shift per 5-6 weeks.
The ideal candidate will embrace our passion for community journalism and excitement in breaking news situations. The Daily Herald has a Sunday circulation of over 20,000, with a strong emphasis on digital platforms which attract 600,000-700,000 unique visitors monthly.
We cover Utah County, which has a population of over 600,000 about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City. The demographics are largely made up of residents in the LDS Church, as well as newcomers to the state relocating to work in Silicon Slopes and other growing industries. The county ranges from dense small-city and suburban communities to spacious farmland, with the 11,000 ft. Wasatch Mountains as a backdrop. World class skiing, hiking, climbing and mountain biking are readily available.
As part of Ogden Newspapers, the Daily Herald offers a full benefits package, along with a professional and comfortable work environment focused on growth opportunities for employees. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
• Experience in web content management platforms
• Strong social media presence
• Willingness to use social media platforms to interact with readers
• Ability to shoot own photos and videos using either mobile devices and/or professional equipment
• Open mind to learn from constructive criticism in editing processes
• Strong writing voice that will draw readers into some of the most-read stories on Daily Herald platforms
• Enthusiasm to participate in a close and committed reporting staff
Preference will be given to candidates who:
• Have experience in understanding Utah criminal code and procedure
• Understand courtroom procedure and the processes of the various court hearings
• Experience working with police on a professional level
• Experience with GRAMA and FOIA
• Bachelor’s degree or work equivalent
• Previous newspaper experience
The Daily Herald is the voice of Utah County and is dedicated to providing the best in news to our audience.
When applying, please attach a resume, cover letter and a link (or links) to at least three work samples, preferably showcasing previous breaking news, crime or court coverage.
Location/Region: Provo, UT (US - 84601)