Job Description: Manager of Compliance & Data Privacy
Exempt (avg. 40 hrs/ wk)
Headquartered in Sandy Utah, Dental Select is a leading innovator in the dental insurance industry. We are a mission-driven organization and having over 30 years of industry knowledge we provide a simple, but innovative experience for our members. We are rebels in the industry and are doing what dental insurance has failed to do until now – we are making dental simple.
We are looking for an experienced Manager of Compliance & Data Privacy who will own and represent the pillars of compliance for Dental Select. The Manager of Compliance & Data Privacy will work under the supervision of the General Counsel, and is responsible for assisting with the development, management, and day-to-day oversight of Dental Select’s compliance program – particularly in relation to the company’s adherence to state and federal laws. In addition, this position brings with it a unique opportunity to create and incorporate compliance pillars into a growing company while establishing effective working relationships and building credibility within Dental Select to support a strong culture of compliance and ethics.
The key focus of compliance functions applicable to Dental Select’s business include, without limitation: industry regulations, HIPAA, PCI compliance, data security and data privacy, complaints and training management, OFAC compliance, etc.
The goal of this position is to infuse a culture of compliance throughout Dental Select by developing and maintaining “collaborative compliance” – a set of initiatives designed to sharpen employees’ acumen and awareness levels on the importance of compliance.
Essential Responsibilities and Job Duties. (Other duties may be assigned.)
Conduct Regulatory Alignment, Compliance Risk, Control Assessment. As an essential part of the development, management and daily oversight of the company’s compliance and data privacy program, create and maintain the company’s Risk Assessments, Key Risk Register, and other similar assessment tools, as applicable.
Develop and maintain compliance policies and processes. Set up internal processes/ policies to ensure compliance to security and data privacy laws and regulations, keeping a specific focus on transparency, correctness of behaviors toward the customers, customer protection, and proactive training for employees.
Collaborate with systems development efforts. Focusing on the avoidance of potential assets/ reputational losses connected to breaches, law or internal regulation violations, collaborate with Information Technology and Systems Development to ensure the company’s proprietary software systems are secure and maintain compliance.
Reporting. Develop monitoring systems and structured reporting processes to effectively communicate key compliance messages regarding detailed risk assessment processes and results. Prepare monthly compliance reports, identifying any security compliance and data privacy issues.
Advisory. Advise leadership on issues concerning compliance and ethics matters including recommending controls designed to ensure security compliance and data privacy. Work collaboratively with leadership in compliance and data privacy program development and implementation.
Employee training. Develop and maintain training to share compliance knowledge within Dental Select by informing the business about compliance and data privacy requirements and related sanctions, consequences of not complying with internal procedures and processes, and the importance of mitigation actions and systems of controls put in place. Enable employees to timely identify and address potential risks with a forward-looking approach.
Product documentation, creation and maintenance. In conjunction with the General Counsel, format insurance plan policies and certificates for new territories and new products. Draft self-funded documents, including addenda, amendments, plan documents, and any requisite compliance correspondence.
Liaison with regulators. Timely respond to inquiries and complaints received from government regulators (e.g., states’ Departments of Insurance, Better Business Bureau (BBB), etc.).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility and job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Experience in Compliance Management.
· Must be self-motivated with a commitment to hard work, self-leadership, and a high ethical conduct.
· Must have a business acumen and strong business engagement skills, as well as interpersonal/ team skills – working effectively and collaboratively with personnel at all levels.
· Must have excellent written, organizational, computer and verbal skills. Must be able to follow oral and written procedures and demonstrate use of judgment and take initiative in resolving problems.
· Ability to write reports and correspondence persuasively, and to speak effectively with co-workers. Strong presentation skills are a plus.
· Excellent administrative skills, including high proficiency with computer software (standard Microsoft Office Suite software) and typing.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· General understanding of compliance policies related to the insurance industry. Some knowledge of insurance concepts, practices, and procedures is desirable.
· A bachelor’s degree at a minimum is required.
Qualifications that are preferred, but not required.
· A Juris Doctorate or paralegal certificate
· Experience within health care compliance, including HIPAA and related state laws and regulations
· Knowledge of cyber and digital risks
Work Environment and Physical Demands.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Although the employee will be likely working in a “cubicle” for a majority of the work day, the noise level in the work environment is generally quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, type; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
While this job description attempts to describe the essential functions of this position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict General Counsel’s right (or the right of the Company) to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this position at any time.
Dental Select is one of the nation's largest independent and privately-held dental companies. Founded in 1989, the company specializes in administering customizable fully-insured and self-funded group dental plans, along with individual and family dental plans, for nearly half a million members nationwide. We're always looking for passionate and skilled professionals to join our crusade of disrupting the rest of the insurance industry through innovative technologies and outstanding customer experience.
Dental Select offers:
• Competitive salary
• Company-subsidized health insurance
• Free dental and vision coverage
• 401(k) with company matching
• 3 weeks of vacation for all new employees
• Paid maternity and paternity leave
• Tuition reimbursement
• Company wellness program
• Financially solid organization with steady growth