The Technical Manager reports to the Plant Manager and is responsible for managing and coordinating the day-to-day activities of the staff responsible for the setup, maintenance and repair of thermoforming equipment, peripheral manufacturing equipment and tooling in order to satisfy the production schedule.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential functions/duties satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Manages a staff comprised of Mold Shop Manager, Process Engineering Manager, Setup Technicians, Setup Mechanics and Inventory Parts Specialist.
Must effectively manage a staff that works the 24/7 schedule and properly communicate and coordinate activities on the evening and weekend work schedule.
Works a swing shift on Tuesday or Thursday evenings, once per week for the purpose of developing the second shift technical staff and ensuring consistency of work.
Collaborates with the Production Control Manager and develops staffing plans to support the manufacturing schedule, machinery maintenance and repair schedule.
Develops and administers preventative and predictive maintenance schedules for production equipment such as thermoforming machines, vacuum pumps, case tapers, ink jet coders and other manufacturing equipment. Organizes and maintains maintenance records per SQF requirements.
Develops and organizes a library of equipment specifications, operating manuals, parts and maintenance manuals to ensure thermoforming equipment is operated and maintained properly.
Develops the knowledge and skills and of the staff to meet productivity objectives of plant management and obtain consistency of work across the (4) shifts of staff that he/she is responsible for.
Responsible for the training of Setup Mechanics and Setup Technicians in the areas of machine setup, operation, troubleshooting (machine and process) and repair.
Detailed knowledge of the thermoforming processes, equipment and tooling.
Skilled in the setup, startup troubleshooting, and operation of thermoforming equipment used by Inline Plastics Corp. (GN’s, Lyle’s, Sencorp’s, and OMG’s)
Assists, as necessary, with the troubleshooting of the thermoforming process, machinery and repair of equipment to minimize downtime.
Is capable of performing analysis to benchmark current Overall Equipment Effectiveness and identify areas requiring improvement. Collaborates with Process Engineers / Specialists to develop and facilitates improvement plans to reduce or eliminate tooling repair issues, machine repair issues, machine cleaning issues, scrap generation, etc that effect machine run time.
Knowledgeable in the areas of 5S, SMED and lean manufacturing principles and supports the implementation of such programs.
Knowledgeable in Inline Plastics Corp’s product quality standards and inspection methods.
Responsible for ensuring that spare parts inventory for manufacturing equipment is sufficient to support preventive maintenance and repair efforts.
Ensures compliance of employees with company’s policies, procedures and safety requirements.
Ensures employees maintain a clutter free, organized and safe working environment and that employees work and behave in a safe manner.
Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Product Safety and Quality
- Follows Product Safety and Quality standards
- Follows FDA GMP’s in regards to food contact packaging as it pertains to the employee
- Practices safe work habits and follows general safety procedures such as proper lifting and bending, ergonomics, proper use of equipment and use of personal protection equipment (PPE)
- Practices good housekeeping including clutter-free work area and general cleaning; follows FDA product safety standards, follows IPC product defense standards and complies with all SQF requirements
- Ensures lockout procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained
- Ensures all safety procedures are strictly adhered to including that "Lock out and tag out" is strictly enforced and disciplined.
The list below represents the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience - A four year engineering degree with a minimum of 7 years of thermoforming experience, a two year technical degree with a minimum of 10 years of progressive thermoforming experience or a High School education with a minimum of 15 years of progressive thermoforming experience. Extrusion experience is beneficial. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and TMM.
- Language Skills - English speaking. The ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports. The ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or board of directors.
- Mathematical Skills - The ability to comprehend and apply the principles of algebra.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. High degree of mechanical aptitude required.
We are celebrating our 50th anniversary this year. During these 50 years, we have proven to have innovation in our DNA. Starting with Safe-T-Gard tear strips that created the first tamper-resistant food container, to E-Z Open Cake containers to Hangables, Sandwich Wedges and Grab and Go Cups, We are a leader. We provide FDA Food contact recyclable products in extremely appealing designs and we are intent on continuing to be the leader.
To service our customers, we operate three manufacturing plants, one distribution center, and a Research, Development, and Engineering Center.
Our goal is to double our sales and we need your help. If you are a collaborative, high energy, high performing team player, we are interested in talking with you.